Thursday, September 3, 2009

Corncakes with Maple-Yogurt Topping

Picture credit goes to Heather! :)
From EatingWell.com
See the original recipe here.

Made from stone-ground cornmeal, these pancakes are light and crunchy. Make the pancakes immediately; this batter does not hold.

6 servings, 2 pancakes each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups nonfat milk
1/4 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
4 large egg whites

Topping
8 ounces (1 cup) low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup


Preparation
1.To make corncakes: Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Mix together milk, 1/4 cup yogurt and oil in a medium bowl and stir into the dry ingredients mixture until blended. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold gently into batter.

2.Fry pancakes in a lightly oiled pan over medium heat until brown and puffed, about 5 minutes on each side.

3.To make topping: Combine 8 ounces yogurt and maple syrup in a small bowl and spoon over pancakes.


Nutrition
Per serving : 272 Calories; 6 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 4 mg Cholesterol; 45 g Carbohydrates; 11 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 384 mg Sodium; 311 mg Potassium;
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat

Notes: I prefer using Vanilla Yogurt in the cakes and in the sauce. I also prefer adding a touch more sugar to the cakes, though they are delicious with out. Topping with fruit is a wonderful addition. I also use this sauce (3 parts yogurt to 2 parts syrup) on all of my pancakes and waffles these days. I feel like this sauce is far superior to plain syrup and I may never go back!

3 comments:

  1. These are pretty darn good! I ate 4 very small pancakes and was stuffed!! The baby liked them a lot too. The yogurt sauce is pretty great too, but I used vanilla yogurt because it's what I had. I don't know if that added to it or not. I made it with 1/4c of the syrup, for less sugar, and it was still pretty sweet. These almost reminded me of corn bread. They would have been good too with a drizzled of honey instead of the yogurt sauce. Obviously I'll make these again. That's why I posted them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got cornmeal in my cupboard! I think I'm going to have to try these.... hhhhmmmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, thats Pineapple in the photo, not butter! ;)

    ReplyDelete