Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Homemade Pita Chips

I love making pita chips! They taste so much better than the store bought ones and it makes me feel like I am still eating chips! I like using Greek Style Pita's. They're thicker and so they have more calories, but they are just so darn good. I use whole wheat ones for the healthiest version. The pita you choose will be the determining factor for calorie intake since they vary so widely.
Greek 100% Whole Wheat Pita
Spray Oil (or Cooking Spray)
Coarse Kosher Salt
Herbs & Spices
Spray one side of the pita with oil or cooking spray. Sprinkle, very sparsely, the kosher salt all over the pita. Then sprinkle the pita with your desired herb or spice. Turn it over and repeat (if you want, I like the taste better when its on both sides). Cut the pita into "chips" or use a cookie cutter for fun shapes. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 6-7 minutes on each side (depending on how crispy you want them). Keep an eye on them the second half as they can burn fast.
I have also butterflied the pita. Cutting the pita thickness in half. These make very light, fragile chips. Keep the pita whole for heartier dipping chips. If you butterfly the pita you don't need to cook them as long.
I like flavor combo's like Salt and Garlic Powder, Salt, Salt and Dill, Cinnamon and Sugar, Cajun, Salt and Lime (instead of cooking spread, rub with a lime wedge and then sprinkle with salt or cumin), Pizza (salt, garlic, Italian seasoning). I'd love to hear your flavor combo's. I heard about dry ranch mix too!

No comments:

Post a Comment